1. MY God, I love thee; not because
I hope for heaven thereby,
Nor yet because who love thee not
Are lost eternally.
2. Thou, O my Jesus, thou didst me
Upon the Cross embrace;
For me didst bear the nails and spear,
And manifold disgrace,
3. And griefs and torments numberless,
And sweat of agony;
Yea, death itself and all for me
Who was thine enemy.
4. Then why, O blessèd Jesu Christ,
Should I not love thee well?
Not for the sake of winning heaven,
Nor of escaping hell;
5. Not from the hope of gaining aught
Not seeking a reward;
But as thyself hast loved me,
O ever-loving Lord.
6. So would I love thee, dearest Lord,
And in thy praise will sing;
Solely because thou art my God,
And my most loving King.