1. IMMORTAL love for ever full,
For ever flowing free,
For ever shared, for ever whole,
A never-ebbing sea!
2. Our outward lips confess the name
All other names above;
Love only knoweth whence it came
And comprehendeth love.
3. We may not climb the heavenly steeps
To bring the Lord Christ down;
In vain we search the lowest deeps,
For him no depths can drown:
4. But warm, sweet, tender, even yet
A present help is he;
And faith has still its Olivet,
And love its Galilee.
5. The healing of his seamless dress
Is by our beds of pain;
We touch him in life’s throng and press,
And we are whole again.
6. Through him the first fond prayers are said
Our lips of childhood frame;
The last low whispers of our dead
Are burdened with his name.
7. Alone, O Love ineffable,
Thy saving name is given;
To turn aside from thee is hell,
To walk with thee is heaven.