There are wonderful words. There is marvellous music in them. To abide in Jesus is to be in the same relation to Jesus as a living fruit – bearing branch to the vine. No one is abiding in Christ that is not drawing his life constantly from Him. Jesus is willing to live His life out in us. Gal.2:20.
PRACTICALLY ABIDING IN JESUS
1. We ought to renounce our own self life.
2. We must also look to Him and expect Him and trust His to actually impart His life to us.
3. To abide in Christ we must feed upon His words. Jn.15:7
4. To abide in Christ we must obey His word. Jn.15:9, 10
5. To abide in Christ we must spend much time in prayer. Jn.14:12, 13, 14.
THE RESULTS OF ABIDING IN JESUS
1. Much fruit. Jn.15:5. Our fruitfulness does not depend upon what we are naturally. It depends upon the life of Christ in us. Jn.15:16, Gal.5:22.
2. Power in prayer. V.7. abiding is the great secret of power in prayer. It will be Christ praying in us and the father hearing Him always. John 11:42.
3. Fullness of joy. Jn.15:11. Joy is one of the fruit of the Holy Spirit. Gal.5:22. And the joy of the Lord is our strength.
4. Our love for one another. Jn.15:12. He is clear that any believer who do not practice love is not a Christian.
5. We become Jesus’ friends as we obey Him. Jn.15:14. It is of great importance to realize that Jesus call us His friends.
6. God is glorified. Jn.15:8. There is nothing so glorifies God as a Christian who is really abiding in Christ.
Conclusion: This is the heart of Christianity. Whoever claim to be a believer and refuses to abide in him must be a withered branch.