Matt. 5:20,…”that except your righteousness shall exceed…scribe and Pharisees.
The scribe and Pharisees were the most Religious people in the time of Christ. They pretended keeping the commandments of God but were hypocrites. Matt. 23:27-28. Jesus did not hide from them but He put across to them, peradventure, they will repent. They were like some church goers today, who dress well to the church, they can also sing and dance well, yet some of them are poisoners, arm-robbers, adulterers and fornicators. Jesus stressed the fact that they can not escape the condemnation of Hell. Matt. 23:33. In this message, we shalt consider five important points:
(1) THE SPEAKER.
(2) WHAT TYPE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS.
(3) THE REWARD OF THE RIGHTEOUS.
(4) THE REWARD OF THE WICKED.
(5) WHAT OFFICERS WOULD DO NOW.
(1) The speaker is the Lord Jesus Christ and He is the Chief Judge. 2nd Tim. 4:1. Moses spoke of Him as a Prophet that who so ever does not believe in Him shall be put to death. Act.3:22-23. Mk.16:15-16, Jn. 3:18, Matt. 7:21-23.
(2) What type of righteousness? The righteousness of God. What is morally right and good. For example, God is the most righteous and He loves Righteousness Ps. 11:7.
a. He wants us to walk In Righteousness and promise that it shall be well with the righteous. Isa. 3:10.
b. The righteousness of God is to make the word of God practical in our life. Matt. 7:21-23.
c. We must practice the reality of Love. No.1, our love for God. Matt. 22;37-38. Also our love for our fellow human beings. Matt. 22:39-40.
For instance, if you love God and the day of worship or service coincide with the market day or business day, which one will you choose to do? If you love your brother or sister but he offends you grievously and tells you, I am sorry, wilt you avenge or forgive? Matt. 6:33, Mk. 11:25-26. Allow your life to reflect the glory of God and show honesty in dealing with men.
(3) THE REWARD OF THE RIGHTEOUS. Matt. 25:21,34, Rev. 22:12-14 crowns etc.
(4) THE REWARD OF THE WICKED. Ps. 9:17
a. The wicked has no peace. Isa.48:22
b. The prayer of the wicked is abomination to God. Prov.15:8.
c. They shall inherit the lake of fire. Rev.21:8, 20:15
(5) Conclusion, let us be wise and go home to put the words of God into practice. Matt.7:24-27.
May God bless you as you obey and remain rapturable.
by E. T. Dodoh