Catering Service requires a uniform service which includes the service of a Waiter and Waitress
A waiter and waitress has the same role to play in the hotel or catering industries.
Waiter or a waitress is a person whose duty is to serve others at a particular point in time.
KINDS OF SERVICES
1. Family Service
This is a system whereby the cooked food is displayed in a casserole dish – on a family dining table after cooking.
2. Plated Service
Is a process whereby the cooked food is taken from the kitchen to the sideboard and finally to the customer.
Sideboard: Is a place where already prepared food are kept.
3. Counter Service
This is a normal service we see in the fast food, a system where customers will go straight to the canter where he or she will be served.
4. Buffet Service
This is a system where people serve themselves and it comes in two ways:
a. Mini Buffet: a system where somebody will stand before the food and dish out to people based on the customers’ desires.
b. Main Buffet: a system where the customer will go straight to the food stand and serve himself.
RULES OF SERVICES
1. Serve from the right and clear from the left
2. Always serve with water
3. Always serve with a serving tray
4. Always serve with a napkin
5. Always wear a smiling face
6. Always consider the colour of plate you use with a meal
7. Consider the life-span of a vegetable you use when cooking
It is the measurement that determines the outcome of your product. You can’t cook or bake without measurement.
PROCESSES OF MEASUREMENT
1. Place your pan on the scale using the turning point and let it be at the zero level using the red line.
2. The measurement you use determines the quality of your product.
3. The product you use determines the quality of your production.
4. Always sieve your flour before baking
5. Study your oven
6. Work with time by using a kitchen timer.
7. Be mindful of your packaging
8. Keep to your recipe