BY APOSTLE DR. S.D. KAGBARANEN
Children are products of marriage and as Jesus commanded. They are brought for dedication. Mark 10:14.
DEFINITION OF TERMS
1. Child: Oxford advanced learners dictionary defines a child as “a young human who is not yet an adult”.
2. Dedication: A ceremony with spiritual connotation held to render a person or object to God.
APOSTOLIC DOCTRINE CHILD DEDICATION
The act of dedicating an infant to God is a covenant entered by parents in recognition of the source of children and their role on child up brining. Ps. 1:27:3, Prov. 22:6. Apostolic Doctrine in Infant Dedication (Luke 2:21-24).
1. We do not baptize children
2. The name given by the parents is maintained
3. The child is seen as a gift from God.
4. The parents are to train the child in righteousness
The role of the Minister in Child Dedication:
God’s servant is expected to bless not curse. This is the sold example laid by our Lord Jesus Christ. Mark 10:13-16. The blessing is passed on by laying of hands. That is why the minister must be spiritually alert to carrying out this sacred assignment. Luke 2:25-32.
The principles laid down in the exchange of marital vows before God and child dedication need to be adhered to without deviating so as to maintain the status quo established in our denomination as a whole. Heb. 13:9.