1. It helps to finance economic and social projects through the provision of loans which promote economic development of member countries.
2. It provides technical assistance to member countries in the area of conducting feasibility study so as to ensure orderly development and execution of projects.
3. The bank provides assistance in the area of industry, agriculture, transport, communication, etc.,to advance and improve the economic welfare of African countries.
4. It helps to obtain loans within and outside Africa to promote both private and public investment in projects that will raise the economic and social development of member countries.
5. It provides to member countries basic technical advice and assistance which can be carried out with available human and material resources for the purpose of studying and executing of development projects.