Matt.5:29, “If thy right eye causeth thee to stumble, pluck it out, and cast it from thee; for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should parish, and not thy whole body be cast into hell”.
Hell in this context refers to that part of eternity where the fire never quench and the worms do not die. And anybody who rejects Christ shall have hell to be his possession. Mk.9:47-48.
A. THE CERTAINTY OF HELL
1. Hell is certain because God’s word declares it. Mtt.25:41, II Thess.1:7, 9, II Pet.2:4, 9, Jude 1:14, 14.
2. The Lord Jesus spoke about the certainty of hell than any other character of the Bible. He spoke of the future life. Rev.21:8.
3. Experience, observation, common sense also point to the existence of hell.
B. THE CHARACTER OF HELL
1. Hell is a place of physical anguish. “Death” and “destruction” are the terms most frequently used. Rev.17:8, Rev.20:10, Rev.21:8.
2. Hell is a place of remorse of conscience. Lk.16:23
3. Hell is a place of unsatisfied and consuming desire. Lk.16:24
4. Hell is a place of ever – increasing moral degradation. Lk.16:28
5. It is a “bottomless pit” Rev.20:1-3
6. Hell is a place of shame. Dan.12:2
7. Hell is a place of vile association. Rev.21:8
8. Finally, hell is a place without hope. I Thess.4:13.
Conclusion: God has made provision for all mankind to accept Christ and be saved from hell. Jn.3:36.