TEXT: ACTS 20:21 “…REPENTANCE TOWARD GOD, AND FAITH TOWARD OUR LORD…”
Gospel repentance is turning from sin and turning unto God. It is called “Repentance unto life,” because the new mind is not merely to depart from evil, but to obtain the life that is found in Christ. Acts 11:18. It is also called “Repentance unto Salvation as that is it object… 2nd Cor. 7:10. It infers a changed attitude toward sin, not going back to iniquity. Rom.6:6-8.
DEFINITION OF REPENTANCE:
- NEGATIVE: Repentance is not merely sorrow for sin. Today many can weep and cry as indicative for repentance yet in their minds there is no change. Judas Iscariot and Esau showed sorrow for their sins but they never repented. Matt. 27:3-5, Heb. 12:17.
- POSITIVE: It is a change of mind that leads to a change of conduct. Matt. 21:28-23, the boy at first refused to work in the vineyard but later repented, changed his mind and went. The prodigal son changed his mind and went back to his father. Lk.15:17-24.
NECESSITY OF REPENTANCE:
- All need repentance for all have sinned. Rom.3:23. From that time, Jesus began to preach repentance. Matt.4:17. Jesus preaching said, except ye repent… Lk.13:3.
- Repentance comes before believing… Mk. 1:15
- Repentance comes before forgiveness. Lk.24:47.
- Repentance comes before conversion. Acts 3:19.
- God commands repentance. Acts 17:30.
THE IMPORTANCE OF REPENTANCE:
- It is mentioned over one hundred times in the Bible
- It was the theme of John the Baptist message. Matt.3:1-2.
- Jesus preached repentance and commands His disciples to preach. Mk.6:12, Mk.1:15.
- After Pentecost, the disciples did preach repentance. Acts 2:38.
- This was the great message of St. Paul. Acts 20:21.
- God wants everybody to repent. II Peter 3:9.
- Failure to repent will bring people to hell. Lk.13:13.
THE RESULT OF REPENTANCE IV LECTURE
- All heaven is made glad. Lk.15:7, 10.
- It brings pardon and forgiveness of sin. Isa.55:7, Acts 3:19.
- The Holy Spirit is given to the penitent. Jn.1:12, Acts 2:38.
Every believer must be involve in the message of repentance as we approach the last days. The church should watch over this important message and make it mandatory for the follower of Christ.
BY APOSTLE DR. E. T. DODOH JP.