TEXT: JOB 28:28 “Behold the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom…understanding.”
God is looking for those who will fear Him in every generation. It all entails the departure from any level of evil and to be established in righteousness. Many crimes have been committed in this generation and it appears as if the fear of God is giving way. For example: kid-napping, illegal killing of the innocent, corruption, etc.
- THE MEANING OF “Fear of The Lord” Prov. 14:26-27
Dr. C. I. Scofield defines it as meaning, reverential trust with a hatred of evil. Fear of God in this context refers to piety. It is used to express our religious duty towards God. Duet. 4:10, “gather me the people together, and I will make them hear my words that they may learn to fear me.” The fear of God is essential but not inherited. It is something that must be taught to children and people of each generation.
THINGS WE WILL NOT FEAR
- We are not to fear idols or other gods. 2nd Kings 17:38.
- We are not to fear man. 1st Sam. 15:24. The fear of man bringeth a snare Prov. 29:25
- We are not to fear earthly calamities for they signify the near return of our Savior. Luke 21:25-28.
- The true believer does not fear future judgments. Heb. 10:27.
“Casting all your care (worries and fears) upon Him.” 1st Peter 5:7.
- DESCRIPTION OF THE FEAR OF THE LORD
- It is the hatred of anything evil. Prov. 8:13
- It is the beginning of wisdom. Psalm 111:10
- It is more valuable than earthly treasure. Prov. 15:16
- It is the fountain of life. Prov. 14:27.
- The fear of the Lord is clean and it endures forever. 1st Peter 5:7.
THE FEAR OF THE LORD IS NECESSARY
- It is necessary to worship. Psalm 5:7
- It is necessary in service. Psalm 2:11
- It is necessary to keep us from sin. Exodus 20:20
- It is necessary to good government. 2nd Sam. 23:3
- It is necessary for administration of justice. 2nd Chro. 19:6-9
- It is necessary for the perfection of holiness in Christian lives. 2nd Cor. 7:1.
Let us pray that God will teach us to fear Him. Ps. 86:11, not only to pray this kind of prayer but we ought to put into practice the fear of God. Prov. 19:13. As you participate in this study and practice it; be blessed in Jesus name Amen.
BY APOSTLE DR. E. T. DODOH