Most political theorists agree that government is an indispensable machinery by which the State maintains its existence, carries out its functions and realises its policies and objectives. As seen from the meaning of Government, the main functions of government include:
1. The maintenance of peace and order. It is the duty of government to maintain peace and order through the making and execution of laws.
2. The protection of life and property of individuals within the State. It is the prime function of government to protect and preserve life and property of its citizens.
3. The provision of Social and Welfare Services. The government with regard to its social and welfare functions make provision for social amenities like electricity, health centres, clinics, schools, etc. Government also provides recreations facilities, public parks, pipe borne water, roads, etc.
4. The promotion of Economic Development of the State. It is the duty of government to provide basic economic necessities to the people. To achieve this goal, government usually adopts policies to encourage employment and production of goods and services.
5. The protection of the country against external attacks and internal insurrection. Government protects the society from violence and invasion of other independent societies. This is done by maintaining the armed forces.
6. The conduct of foreign or diplomatic relations with other States and International Institutions. Government maintains external relations with other friendly countries all over the world through the maintenance of friendly and dynamic foreign policy.
7. The administration of Justice. Government is responsible for the administration of justice. This is done through the establishment of Courts which are to try cases and deliver judgments.