(Tenet No. 11)
1. What does the Lord expect us to give Him?
Christ, having denied Himself for us, invites us to follow His example and give Him our time, talents and money, etc. He said, “Freely ye have received, freely give”. (Matt. 10:8, Acts 20:35)
2. Has the Lord given any direction in His written word regarding our monetary giving?
In the age of conscience and under the law. Tithing was the principle revealed by God. This had the sanction of our Saviour. (Gen. 14:20, Lev. 27:30, Matt. 23:23)
3. What is the meaning of the word “Tithe”?
It means “Tenth” and to tithe our income means that we give one-tenth of it to God. (Mal. 3:10)
4. Is it necessary to give Tithes?
We are morally obliged to give God back this part as a grateful acknowledgement of the whole; and we should do so joyfully and thankfully. (Ps. 116: 12-21, Matt. 23:23)
5. Do the Scriptures speak of any giving besides that of Tithes?
Yes. Mention is made also of free-will offerings, other than tithes (2nd Cor. 9:7, Ezra 8:28)
6. Is the amount of the free-will offering decided for us?
No. Everyman should give as he purposeth in his hear, for the Lord loves a cheerful giver. (2nd Cor. 9:7)
7. How else does God expect us to give?
By doing good to all men, especially the needy and household of faith. (Gal. 6:10)