The quiet time with God is the secret of Christians’ daily life. This is a period when a Christian disengages himself from other affairs and enters into a closet in communication with God. Matt. 6: 6. Observations show that Christians who fail here soon grow cold and backslide. D. E. Hoste said that they never knew which candidates that arrived on the mission field would do well in the years to come, for it all depended on how well they guarded the Quiet Time. The Christian that perseveres in the Quiet Time grows steadily day by day with the Lord.
ANALYSIS OF ABRAHAMS EXAMPLE
According to Genesis 19:27, “And Abraham got up early in the morning to the place where he stood before the Lord”.
1. He got up early in the morning. This has been his daily practice.
2. He had a special place to meet with God. It is the picture of the family or personal alter.
3. He stood at the place of appointment with God. And he was there waiting to hear from God.
4. Factually, it is recognition of God’s leadership and guidance. Prov. 3:5-6. Says, “In all thy ways acknowledge him and he shall direct thy paths” He used to communicate with God. He does not stand before the Lord dumbfounded, rather he used to speak to God and God used to communicate with him. Gen. 18:23-32.
THE DIVINE EXAMPLE Mark 1:35.
“And in the morning a great while before day, he rose and went out to a lonely place, and there He prayed” (RSV)
1. Jesus got up very early in the morning ever before the day light springs forth.
2. He departed to a lonely place. He did not want any human interruption.
3. This is a definite place of appointment with His Father.
4. There he prayed. He was not there for fun but a serious engagement with the Father.
5. He is giving us divine example to emulate. Let us consider these words. Jn. 15:5,
“I am the vine, ye are the branches: he that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing”
Our daily success depends on how much we depend on Him. Take that, “Jesus continued all night alone in prayers”. Lk. 6:12, Matt. 14:23.
THE PURPOSE OF THE QUIET TIME
1. To have fellowship with God. God is not a selfish being, He desires to have fellowship with His creation. Gen. 3:8, Isa. 1:18, Lk. 15: 18-24.
2. To receive daily strength from God. The Christian life is a continues battle and there is need to receive strength from God daily. John 15:4. Eph. 612.
3. It is also an opportunity to study the Bible. II Tim. 2:15.
THE PREPARATION FOR THE QUIET TIME
“For as many as are led by the spirit of God, they are the sons of God” Roman 8:14
1. One must seek the leading, guidance and blessings of the Holy Spirit to direct in this situation.
2. One ought to sleep on time and get up on time.
3. One must discipline himself so as to achieve the target.
4. If you get sleepy on your knees, then change position or you stand up to be alert.
5. It is said that you don’t have to do all the talking, but stop talking and listen to God.
Ps.46:10 “Be still and know that I am the Lord”.
6. Be willing to obey Him. John 2:5.
7. Also come before Him with a pure Heart. Ps. 51:17, Matt. 5:8.
THE MATERIAL FOR THE QUIET TIME
1. The Bible. The word of God is the number one material to use in this process.
2. The Hymn book. In the quiet time, one must know that there is time for praises.
3. A note book is necessary. Sometime God may reveal something which might be good to record them.
4. Another note book might also be in hand with a pen bearing the topics of your prayers and space to indicate their answers when God grant them.
THE NAVIGATOR SYSTEM OF BIBLE STUDY BY ALBAN
Choose a plan, read by chapters. After reading record answers to these questions.
1. What new thing have I learnt today?
2. Is there a command for me to obey?
3. Is there an example for me to follow?
4. Is there an error for me to avoid?
5. Is there a sin for me to forsake?
6. Is there a promise for me to claim?
7. Is there a new thought about God Himself?
THE PRAYER IN THE QUIET TIME
A sincere prayer is costly. It requires much time and discipline. Day by day perseverance is the real test. Check the prayer list booklet and notice your answered prayers. Don’t forget to thank God and adore Him for the ones He has answered.
Ps. 50:15. “Call upon me in the day of trouble. I will deliver thee, and thou shall glorify me”.
In your prayers be simple and sincere as one who is communicating with his father. You can use the prayer basic element: ACST.
1. A-Adoration — praise and worship by the soul to God.
Ps 95:6, “O come, let us worship and bow down”.
2. C-Confession — repentance and forsaking every known sin. Ps.32:5, 66:18, IJN.1:8-10.
3. S-Supplication – intercession, petition, requests and desires careful and humble presented to the most high in the name of Jesus. ITim.2;1
4. T-Thanksgiving — in faith one ought to appreciate God in thanksgiving believing that the prayer offered are granted in advance. Isa.65:24.
THE PROBLEMS OF THE QUIET TIME
Satan will make sure that your quiet time is challenged and opposed every day. It is a daily battle. If you miss a morning, it is not a necessary failure. Confess the error and be forgiven the moment that the Holy Spirit reminds you of your inconsistency. Be strong in your concentration for it is a battle of the mind. Eph. 6:12.
In order to be victorious, meditate on the cross, the blood and the mighty power of the Resurrection.
THE NECESSITY OF THE QUIET TIME
One may ask, why is it necessary to maintain the quiet time?
1. As far back as in the beginning – Abraham maintained it, with what we have learnt.
2. All the great men of God in the Bible honoured it.
3. The Lord Jesus Christ, the most perfect man who ever lived on earth practised it.
4. If we are to succeed, we must teach our generation to emulate.
We must practice it ourselves. Consider what Paul said in 1 Cor. 9:27,
“But I kept under my body, and bring it into subjection, lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway”.