(Tenet No. 3)
1. What do we mean by the expression “The Second Coming of Christ”?
It is called the “Second Coming” because He already has been in the universe once, but is coming again in a twofold way, firstly to the air for His saints, and later to the earth with His saints. (1st Thess. 4:16, 17, Jude 14, Zech. 14:3,4)
2. Is there a Scripture that distinguished between His first coming and His second coming?
Yes. “Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many, and unto them that look for Him shall appear the second time without sin unto salvation”. (Heb. 9:26,28)
3. Is the Second Coming of Christ mentioned often in the Scriptures?
In the Old Testament Scriptures it is mentioned 1,500 times, and in the New Testament over 300 times.
4. What will be the manner of His coming to the air for His saints?
It will be sudden, “in the twinkling of an eye”, with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and the trump of God. (1st Cor. 15:52, 1st Thess. 4:16)
5. What will be the manner of His coming to the earth in judgement on the living nations?
Suddenly and unexpectedly He shall come in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory, and His saints with Him. His feet shall stand on the Mount of Olives. (Matt. 24:30, 31, 37-39)
6. When will His return to earth happen?
At the close of the “great tribulation” period. (Matt. 24:21, 29,30)
7. What is the purpose of His coming to the air for his people?
To complete the salvation of the saints and be glorified in them, that they might be with Him forever. (Col. 3:4, Heb. 9:28, John 14:3)
8. What is the purpose of His second coming to the earth?
To destroy His enemies, to introduce His millennial reign on earth, and to cast the devil into the bottomless pit. (Rev. 19:19-21, 20:1-3, Zech. 14:12-21)
9. What will transpire on the earth after His return?
He will reign on earth for a thousand years, in righteousness and peace. (Rev. 20:4, Isa. 2:2-4, 11:1-9)
10. What will happen after the millennial reign?
Satan will be loosed for a season, and he will deceive the nations to gather to battle against God’s people. Then he will be cast into the lake of fire. (Rev. 20:11-15, 21:3,5).
11. What else takes place?
The judgement of the Great White Throne, and the bringing in of a new heaven and a new earth, when God shall dwell with His people. (Rev. 20:11-15, 21:3,5)
12. What effect has the Lord’s coming on those who look for him?
”Everyman that hath this hope in Him purified himself even as He is pure”. (1st John 3:3)
13. What effect has the doctrine of our Lord’s second coming on the wicked?
They scoff at the teaching, and this mockery hardens their hearts against the Lord. (2nd Pet. 3:3, Jude 18)
14. What is the fate of the Christ rejecter?
If a man refuses to repent or accept Christ as his Saviour, he has nothing to look forward to but the wrath of God for refusing His son. (Rom. 2:5-9)
15. What is the nature of this punishment?
The Scriptures say that “Whosoever was not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire”. (Rev. 20:15)
16. Is the punishment eternal?
Our Lord declared it would be everlasting. (Mark 9:44, 2nd Thess. 1:9)
17. Is there any chance of forgiveness after death?
No. Scripture nowhere reveals the least hope of such thing. (Rev. 22:11)
18. Is there such a place as purgatory?
No. Scripture in no wise refer to such a place, or suggests that works of merit or prayers of others will have any effect in lessening punishment or translating from hell to heaven. (1st Tim. 2:3, Acts 4:12, Titus 3:5)
19. What is the date of Christ’s coming?
There is nobody that knows the date except the Father in heaven. (Matt. 24:36, Mk. 13:32)
20. If the date is not known, what shall we do?
We must get ourselves ready at all times. (Matt. 24:44, Mk 13:33)
21. Who is the last enemy that shall be destroyed?
The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death. (1st Cor. 15:26, Heb. 2:14, Rev. 20:14)
22. How long shall the Lord reign?
The Lord shall reign forever and ever. (Exo. 15:18, Ps. 146:10, Rev. 11:15, 22:5)