TEXT: ISAIAH 7:14
In the Christmas story we learn that Jesus became a man – took upon Himself the form and likeness of a man. Phil. 2:5-8. We believe that since Adam sinned, all born thereafter inherited a sin nature from their parents. How was Jesus born without a sin nature? “Behold I was sharpen in iniquity and in sin did my mother conceived me”. Ps. 51:5. The true fact is that Jesus did not have the sin nature because He was conceived by The Holy Spirit. Luke 1:30-35. He did not have a human father, God was His Father. He was born sinless and lived sinless, so as to be our Redeemer.
THE VIRGIN BIRTH FORETOLD IN THE OLD TESTASMENT
- Gen. 3:15, God promised a Redeemer to mankind at the fall of Adam & Eve.
- Gen. 12:1-3, God calls Abraham to be the father of the chosen nation of Israel.
- Gen. 49:10, This blessing was to be given through the tribe of Judah.
- 2nd Sam. 7:8-16, The Savior to be born of the family of David.
- Isa. 7:14, “Behold, a virgin shall conceive and bear a son………Emmanuel…”
- Isa. 9:6 “For unto us a child is born……..”
THE PURPOSE OF THE VIRGIN BIRTH
- To reveal God. Jesus came to reveal the Father to humanity. Jn. 1:18.
- To bridge the chasm between God and man. 1st Tim. 2:5.
- To save men. This is the basic purpose. Heb. 2:14,16; Jn. 10:10
- To rescue the whole creation. Rom. 8:19-22
- To destroy the works of the devil. 1st Jn. 3:8.
THE IMPORTANCE OF THE DOCTRINE
- It is undeniable truth. John 8:32
- It is unchangeable truth. Heb. 13:8
- It is urgent and undiscernibly truth. 1st Cor. 4:1-5
- It is unconditional truth. Rom. 10:9
THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE VIRGIN BIRTH
- Jesus Christ was a real human being, born of our bone, flesh of our flesh. Phil. 2:7.
- Jesus Christ was sinless in order to save the sinners. John 8:46. Matt. 1:21
- Jesus Christ was also God because of the Holy Ghost Conception. Luke 1:35.
Let us thank God that He found a way to bring the Saviour into the world without the taint of original sin. His love for us is overwhelming – Agape. The Lord Jesus Christ given to the world is God’s demonstration of His love towards mankind. We ought to teach this to our children and this generation. Matthew 28:20.
BY APOSTLE DR. E. T. DODOH JP